Ten Years And Going Strong
Perthshire Open Studios was launched in 2008 and is now in its 10th year. It is an annual nine day event held in September and involves artists and makers across Perthshire, Kinross-Shire and other neighbouring counties. A growing number of participants and visitors each year makes it a highlight in the calendar of Arts events in Scotland.
A Community Interest Company and not-for-profit organisation, Perthshire Open Studios makes a significant contribution to the local economy and generates local community art and craft events throughout the year.
Our Partnership with Pitlochry Festival Theatre continues with a Showcase Exhibition planned for this year’s event.
Work from some of our Artists and Makers (2016)
- Participant artists and makers have increased year on year and 2016 had the highest ever number of venues and the highest number of participating artists.
- Visitor numbers have also increased year on year, with over 15,000 being recorded last year and we hope to have many more this year with increased local and national publicity.
- Visitors to the event in previous years came principally from Perthshire and Kinross-Shire but a significant number came from other parts of Scotland and the UK and a number from overseas, with many staying in the area for 3-5 nights. As partners in the Homecoming Scotland programme last year, we welcomed even more visitors from other parts of the globe.
- Comments made by the visitors include: “Brilliant! It’s inspiring to see such great work produced locally.” “We liked visiting studios we would not normally be able to visit because they were open specially and listed in the directory.”
- Several high profile local businesses sponsored us in 2015 and 2016 and we hope that we can help each other by bringing increased economic activity to the area, a growing interest in the Arts and an increased awareness of the huge talent in this region.